’tis a drink for all seasons. . .actually, no. No it’s not. This is a drink strictly for the Ella Fitzgerald/Duke Ellington time of year. The period in which Frank Sinatra and Mariah Carey become synonymous with the brisk, pine-tinged air and the leaves at Magnolia Gardens begin their evolution into mulch. It’s the time for Egg Nog.
Love it or hate it, and there are plenty of vociferous opinions each way, egg nog defines the winter through beverage. Hearty, smooth, milkshake-like and slightly eggy, there is nothing that fulfills like egg nog. Drink one too many glasses, however, and you’ll feel the effects; especially in this here holiday-themed egg nog.
Simple, gorgeous and a showstopper when served to guests, this is truly my holiday drink of choice. But only one, or face the eggy consequences.
- 5-6 small ice cubes
- 1.5 cups egg nog
- 2 oz bourbon
- 1/4 tsp, cinnamon
- grated nutmeg (powder is fine, though large grocers typically carry whole nutmeg)
- 1 generous dollop, whipped cream
- put the ice in a wide-rimmed glass
- add the bourbon
- add the egg nog
- add 1/2 of the cinnamon and a few shavings of nutmeg
- add the whipped cream
- add remaining cinnamon & nutmeg
- drink and be merry. and don’t forget to suck the ice cubes for their remaining goodness when you’re done.